Christmas lights are an integral part of the holiday season, but unfortunately, so is the electric bill that comes with powering them for a month or more.
If you’re tired of shelling out the same amount for your lights as you do for your presents, there is a way to power your lights in an eco-friendly way that isn’t going to hurt your pocket.
Our buying guide includes our picks for the 10 best solar Christmas lights available on the market right now, and also helps you find the style best suited for your tastes.
From snowflake lights, star lights, and tube lights, we have something that will keep your utility bill low all while making your home the envy of your neighbors!
Best Solar Christmas Lights of 2023
- Binval Solar Fairy Christmas String Lights – Best Overall
- GIGALUMI Solar Hanging Lights Christmas Decoration – Best Design
- Windpnn Solar Powered Star String Lights – Best Value
- EXF 2-Pack Crystal Globe Solar String Lights
- Dimunt Solar Powered Fairy Lights
- Dephen Moroccan Ball Solar String Lights
- WONFAST Meteor Shower Christmas Solar Lights
- OxyLED Solar Curtain Lights
- Inngree Snowflake Solar String Light
- Vmanoo LED Solar Icicle Lights
Solar Christmas Lights Reviews
Best Overall: Binval Solar Fairy Christmas String Lights
- Available in packs of 1 and 2
- 1-year warranty
- Long run times
- Fast solar light charging
- 8 lighting modes
- Extremely bright bulbs
- Durable and waterproof material
The Binval solar fairy Christmas strand lights are similar to many other strong lights that we feature on our list, but rather than coming in a single pack of a 72-foot long string, the Binval lights come with double that.
Each bulb emits a warm white glow but can be changed to a cooler setting. Additionally, these Christmas decorations also offer multi-color lights for an even more exciting Christmas display.
The multi-purpose design isn’t only great for decorating Christmas trees, but the lights create the perfect surrounding for the front porch.
These holiday decorations are easy to install and can even be used outside. These solar lights are made from heat resistant and IP 65 Waterproof materials offering protection and durability in bad weather conditions.
From just a 6 hour charge, you will receive up to 10 hours of battery life, and if that doesn’t last long enough, there is a 1 years warranty giving you lots of purchase protection.
Best Design: GIGALUMI Solar Hanging Lights Christmas Decoration
- Attractive floral design
- Long string line of 23 feet
- Waterproof materials
- Automatic on and off
- Long battery life
These GIGALUMI lights offer a beautiful aesthetic that can’t be beaten. A string Christmas light with LED bulbs in a floral casing is available in packs of 2, including 50 LED bulbs.
The rope lights measure 23 feet in length, giving you lots of options when it comes to your Christmas light decoration placement.
Powered using solar panels, they are eco-friendly and energy-efficient. External wiring isn’t necessary; simply place the solar panel in the ground to be exposed to sunlight.
Outdoor lights like this are amazing as they have been built with protective materials that offer resistance to any kind of weather, meaning there are no worries if it begins to snow or rain.
There are two switches that control if the power is on or off while the other switches between the different modes changing between steady and flashing lights.
Best Value: Windpnn Solar Powered Star String Lights
- Long battery life
- Automatic on/off controls
- 8 different lighting modes
- Efficient solar panel
If you’re looking for the best value for money, our top pick is the Windpnn solar-powered star string lights. They bring something completely different to the table with the star design of these LED lights.
Completely weatherproof, allowing you to use these lights on your indoor Christmas tree or as outdoor decorations on fences, bushes, the house, or trees.
There are 8 different modes on these LED lights giving you more decorative options than ever before. When dark, they will automatically turn on, leaving you one less thing you have to think about on your decorative display.
These fairy lights are completely powered by solar energy through a light sensor placed in a location that will attract the most sunlight in the day.
When fully charged, the battery offers 10 hours of warm white light perfect for the holiday season.
EXF 2-Pack Crystal Globe Solar String Lights
- Durable materials
- Automatic on/off
- Multiple light settings
- Fast charging times
- Memory function
The EXF 2-pack Crystal Globe solar string light is ultra-bright – perfect for the outdoors.
The crystal ball-designed LED bulbs hang from a strong wired string illuminating a warm white color that is vibrant and powerful.
There are 8 light settings to choose from, all performing different sequences that can bring your Christmas tree to life.
The great thing is about these settings is the memory mode, which remembers the previous light setting you used, meaning there is no need to find it again after each use.
The automatic detection will know when it becomes dusk or dawn, turning the lights on or off when needed. This will help to reduce any unneeded energy use from the solar panel-powered battery.
IP65 weatherproofing allows you to use this warm white lighting both indoors and outdoors.
You can decorate your Christmas tree or turn your garden tree into something a little more Christmas-like. These materials are durable, ensuring that they last for the longest period of time possible.
Dimunt Solar Powered Fairy Lights
- IPX6 waterproof material
- Bendable copper wiring
- 8 different light settings to choose from
- Automatic daytime charging
- Automatic on/off settings
The Dimunt solar-powered fairy lights are an energy-saving way to bring illumination to your home in the holiday season.
Premium LED lights sit on strings that can be wrapped around the Christmas tree, shrubs, bushes, along your house, around windows, doorframes, and much more.
There are 8 different light settings to choose from, slow fade patterns, chasing, fireflies, twinkling, and combinations of them, all giving you more excitement compared to your standard lights.
There’s no need for the use of a plug or extension. Solar power allows you to set up the lights and then recharge the battery with the power of the sun.
A built-in light sensor will automatically turn your lights on and off when daytime becomes nighttime and vise versa. This leaves you with one less thing to worry about.
Using bendable copper wires allows you to fix these lights to pretty much any kind of surface with the copper light string shaping to any space – great for decorating your Christmas tree and garden.
These solar lights can handle pretty much any kind of weather, with the IPX6 waterproof material adding an extra level of durability in even the harshest conditions.
Dephen Moroccan Ball Solar String Lights
- Long-running time
- Durable and long-lasting
- Two available lighting modes
- Attractive design
If you want colorful displays in your Christmas light decorations, the Dephen Moroccan solar string lights are a brilliant choice.
Shaped like mini disco balls, these Moroccan fairy lights are some of the best solar Christmas lights available.
Featuring a remote control for ease of use, there are two lighting modes: flashing and static. The remote control allows you to change settings from the comfort of indoors if you decide to place these mini lights outside.
Outside capabilities are boosted from the durable, waterproof materials that prevent water from damaging the LED lights in any way.
The battery life is amazing – a single charge will offer around 8 to 10 hours of illumination. The battery will fully charge in around 6 to 8 hours if the solar panel is under direct sunlight.
WONFAST Meteor Shower Christmas Solar Lights
- Efficient solar panel
- Long run times of up to 12 hours
- Dust, corrosion, weather, resistant material adds extra durability
- Meteor design effect
- Great for in and outdoor use
The WONFAST Meteor Shower Christmas solar lights bring more extravagance to your Christmas lights than ever before.
The meteor shower designs have these Christmas lights cascading from above, giving a romantic aesthetic for all looking.
The solar panel is strong and efficient. After 6 hours under direct sunlight, the battery will be completely charged, offering up to 12 hours of illumination.
The meteor shower Christmas led lights follow a sequence to create a falling effect better than standard electric lights.
Made using high-quality materials that offer durability and protection against outside weather. The transparent PC material is stylish but also offers resistance to corrosion, dust, and signs of aging.
Suitable to be fitted in lots of different ways, the great thing about these solar-powered Christmas lights is that they can be used on other occasions than Christmas.
The romantic design makes them the perfect accompaniment to weddings, birthdays, Valentine’s surprises, and much more.
OxyLED Solar Curtain Lights
- Multiple solar panel mounting options
- Fast charging
- Long run times
- 12-month warranty
- Easy to install hooks featured
- Warm white lights with 8 different settings.
- Energy-saving solar power.
If you’re looking for solar string lights that offer luxury and elegance, the OxyLED solar curtain fairy lights should be something you invest in.
Made with 300 super bright and warm LEDs on a transparent wire, the curtain light effect adds something different to the usual Christmas lights you see being used.
Closing off areas under a gazebo or pergola with these curtain solar string lights adds an extra level of comfort when you’re sitting beneath them.
These solar Christmas lights are completely waterproof, making them perfect for the outdoors. Hang them on walls, gazebos, or even drape over bushes. You have lots of options from these solar lights.
One amazing thing is the 12-month warranty you will receive with each purchase, giving you complete confidence with your purchase. The solar lights have 8 different modes to choose from, each creating a different ambiance, and come with a handy hook feature for easy installation.
The solar panel will charge the battery throughout the day then keep your space illuminated for up to 10 hours.
Inngree Snowflake Solar String Light
- Uses green solar energy
- Long run times
- Easy installation
- Completely weatherproof
- Different light modes available
- Continuous running even in dark conditions
The Inngree snowflake solar string lights will bring the magic of winter snow to the indoors.
These snowflake lights offer multiple light options such as warm white, winter white, and even multicolor, giving you lots of choices depending on the kind of aesthetic you’re looking for.
Two power modes can be switched between. The ‘always-on’ mode will keep the lights on at all times, while the automated mode provides a flashing light mode that is more attention-grabbing.
Entirely powered by green solar energy, ensuring your electric bill will not skyrocket from using these snowflake lights.
These solar Christmas lights work between 8 and 10 hours from a single charge in complete darkness. To completely fill the battery and supply the lights with the solar energy needed will take between 6 and 8 hours.
Perfect for both indoors and out with complete waterproof abilities handling weather such as heavy rain, snow, and hail.
Vmanoo LED Solar Icicle Lights
- Decent charge time
- Long-running time
- Continuous running even in dark conditions
- Easy to install
- 7.2m overall length
For anyone looking to take their solar Christmas lights to the next level, steering away from the conventional; and sometimes boring flicker and blink lights, these falling start string lights could be a great choice.
Suitable for both in and outdoors, but on the outside is where they really shine. These string lights are easy to install, making them quick and stress-free. Made with waterproof materials to keep protected when exposed to the elements.
The solar panel will automatically recharge when under direct sunlight giving you a free source of power.
With a long-running time between 8 and 12 hours, these string lights are great.
They will light continuously through a completely dark situation if the solar panel is completely charged. To completely charge these solar Christmas lights will take between 6 and 8 hours.
Solar Christmas Lights Buying Guide
Price may vary on solar Christmas lights depending on the unique features that are offered. An automatic motion sensor, for example, will add expense compared to solar lights that are operated manually.
Look for the kind of requirements that suit your own personal needs and come within the budget range you have set for yourself.
There is no better way to bring joy and happiness to the people around you at Christmas than a solar Christmas light display.
There are many different styles available, and they can all add this extra essence to your festivities.
Before you purchase the first solar Christmas lights you see, you should take a look at the different style available:
- Solar Christmas String Lights – A style that will never go out of fashion. Purposely designed to cover long distances, solar string lights have lots of LEDs in various decorative themes. COver long sections, or completely illuminate a smaller area.
- Mini String Lights – Popular in recent years, the mini string lights work in the same way the larger versions do, but just on a smaller level.
- Net Lights – Net lights are great. Easy to set up and work perfectly outside in bushes and trees. They come in different shapes and sizes that string into form, creating a uniform look when draped across shrubs and structures.
- Icicle Lights – Icicle lights are a great way to add the icicle effect in a whimsical fashion. These lights are usually used on awnings or guttering and are available in multiple colors.
- LED Rope Lights – For walkways, doorways, and windows, the best option is an LED rope light. They are great at creating intricate shapes and designs wherever they are placed.
- LED Projection Spotlights – With no installation required, LED projection spotlights offer a time-saving alternative compared to the more traditional approach. Plugin and place them to be projecting towards your chosen area. Vibrant and interesting, these colorful lights work perfectly right from the get-go.
- Solar Christmas Pathway Lights –Like pathway lights that you would have in your garden throughout the year, these are just specially designed for the Christmas season.
Checking the charge and running time of your lights is essential before any purchase of solar-powered Christmas lights, especially if they are being used outdoors.
Suggested Reading: Buying Guide: Best Outdoor Solar Lights
Solar Christmas lights that take between 6 to 8 hours to charge will usually offer between 10 and 12 hours of light.
If you can, you should try to buy solar lights that have sensors to automatically turn off when it starts to become lighter outside, leaving you with one less job to think about.
- Runtime – Runtime is the period of time your solar Christmas lights will illuminate from a full charge. This all depends on your battery’s size and charge time, but you want to have at least 7 hours of light.
- Charge Time – Charge time is the amount of time it takes for your battery to charge fully. This charging will come from direct sunlight exposure, but this may take a little longer depending on weather conditions. Choose a solar light that will light in even the worst conditions.
There are a few different options that you can choose when it comes to the combination of running time and charge time. Here are a few options:
- Long runtime – Short charge time
- Long runtime – Long charge time
- Short runtime – Short charge time
- Short runtime – Long charge time
Between these running and charging combinations, the best will be short charge time and long run times, with the worst option being the longer charge times and shorter run time.
The most common type of batteries used in solar-powered outdoor lights is lithium-ion, nickel-metal hydride, lead-acid, or nickel-cadmium. For affordability, your best choice is always going to be with a lithium-ion battery. These batteries are also low maintenance.
Other options will be more expensive, but can provide more power and durability. If you are looking for a battery that will last for years to come, the more expensive choice will definitely be worth the money over time.
The capacity of a battery is measured in mAH, and the higher this capacity is, the brighter your lights will be and for much longer. This being said, a battery with a higher capacity will need longer to charge. Large solar panels are essential if you have a large battery to reduce the charge times.
Try to find a rechargeable battery that takes around 8 hours to complete allowing even places with limited sunlight to charge fully. Full rechargeable batteries will provide around 7 to 9 hours of lighting.
You Might Also Like: The 5 Best Solar Halloween Lights
Additional features will all be about personal preference when deciding the best solar Christmas lights for you. A few additional features may be:
- Length – The length of the strand can be a strong consideration but entirely depends on the space you have intended. The longer the strand, the more lights.
- String Length – String length is a consideration and will depend on the size of your Christmas decorations.
- Bulb Spacing – If you’re looking to wrap your string lights around trees or posts, bulb spacing could be something to think about. You want wider bulb spacing in these instances, while shorter bulb spacing should be left for lining roofs, draping loosely around indoor trees, or overhangs.
- Indoor Christmas Trees – Per vertical foot, it is suggested that you fix 100 mini Christmas tree lights for the best results. If you choose lights with around a 4-inch bulb spacing, you will get a much more illuminated area compared to a 6-8-inch gap.
- For Outdoor Trees – For outdoor Christmas lights, it is suggested that you fit around 200 mini Christmas tree lights per vertical foot if you want heavy lighting.
- Extension Cords – Extension cords are a great addition to ensure safety, conceal power supplies, and coordinate your wiring. Extension cords supply hassle-free lighting just about anywhere.
- Auto ON/OFF – Automatic On/Off switches are usually standard when it comes to solar string lights, but not all models do include it. Choose a set that fits your requirements.
- Accessories – Some solar Christmas light manufacturers provide additional accessories such as a user guide, receiver, adaptor, remote, and battery.
Durability is something you should always check before any solar Christmas lights are bought. Suppose you’re using your solar panel Christmas lights in an outdoor situation.
You want to make sure that they are covered with a copper wire coating to form a protective barrier from the elements.
Indoor solar-powered holiday lights will not require this level of protection as they are not exposed to bad weather. However, if you’re buying solar-powered lights for indoors or outdoors, your lights should be able to withstand cold, wind, and snow.
Durable metals with special waterproof coatings should be something you’re looking for when buying solar outdoor string lights. Materials such as stainless steel, cast aluminum, and ABS plastic are all popular materials.
These materials are chosen in solar lights due to the amazing protective qualities they bring from various weather conditions the outside brings.
There are lots of different bulbs used in Christmas lights, but the most common variants you will see are incandescent and LED light bulbs.
Available in all different shapes, sizes, and colors. LED bulbs are the most efficient, offering a brighter light and lasting longer periods of time than other light bulbs. Here is a little extra about these two light bulb choices;
- Incandescent Lights – These lights are a cheaper option compared to LEDs. They use more energy and emit a warm glow. The lighting is different from that of an LED, so it is not advised to combine in the same area.
- LED Lights – LED lights require much less energy compared to incandescent bulbs and have a life span of around 1,00,000 hours. You can decide what kind of glow you prefer with a warm or cool setting due to the low burning temperature.
What Are The Best Solar Powered Christmas Lights?
Overall the best solar string lights are the Binval solar fairy Christmas string lights. They are available in packs of 1 and 2 and come with a 1-year warranty from the day of purchase.
The lights themself have 8 different settings you can choose from with different flashing patterns available.
These lights are extremely bright for solar-powered lights, and they also have long run times on a single charge. Charging times are fast, with the battery being fully charged each day in the sun.
One great feature about these solar lights is their weatherproof, durable material. Even the worst weather conditions will not damage these amazing Christmas lights.
How Do Solar Christmas Lights Work In Winter?
Christmas solar lights work in winter by collecting the sun’s energy in the daytime from direct sunlight. The sunlight recharges the battery, ready to be used later at night when the sun has set, and it has become dark outside.
Many of these solar lights have automatic sensors that will automatically turn them on and off when it becomes light or dark.
This automatic sensor is a great way to save energy from your battery with the lights not remaining on when it is daytime.
What Are The Brightest Solar Christmas Lights?
If you want brightness in your solar light, then you should always go for an LED option. LEDs are much brighter than bulbs and also give you options for different color settings.
Products such as the Vmanoo Outdoor Tube Lights offer bright blue lights that add an icicle effect to your decoration. The battery will also affect how bright the light is. If it is running out of solar energy, you may find that the lights have begun to dim.
Are Solar Lights Easy To Install?
Depending on the kind of solar Christmas lights you’re installing, the ease will differ. Projection lights are a simple plugin and go, while icicle lights may take a little more effort fixing to your chosen area.
Compared to conventional mains-powered lights, solar-powered options are much easier to install. There is no need for an ugly, dangerous, and potentially messy extension wire coming from the inside of the house, plus they are cost-efficient, making them even more attractive.
How Long Do Solar Lights Last?
For a typical solar light, you’re looking at a life expectancy of around 2 years.
After this point, you can try extending their life, but there is a chance that the rechargeable battery will begin to wear out and not work in its original way.
Solar light batteries are easy to replace in most cases with single change running times varying only rarely between models.
There’s something for everyone among the top choices above, so whether you’re looking for string lights around your tree or a decorative light, you’ll find something you like in this list.
All the solar-powered rope lights, crystal balls, strand lights, and more give off bright, warm, or colored light as you choose.
If you choose to install LED lights, make sure they are long enough for your needs. The crystal ball strand, for example, is 20 feet long, while many other strands have distinct designs that are best suited to some but not all situations.
You should also keep in mind that if you plan to use these solar lights inside, you should place the solar panel safely either on your window sill or on your porch to avoid mess and danger from using extension cords.